Twenty years ago today, Konami released Suikoden. This was the start of a wonderful RPG series that proved several points.
- You don’t need to re-invent the wheel with each installment.
- It’s actually possible to use the same world, and characters when appropriate, in later installments.
- When you decide to re-use characters, planning ahead makes for a well drawn out back-story. For example, Georg Prime.
- Properly showing the consequences of war is a great way to develop a story and the characters of those affected.
- Good storytelling is more powerful than any current-gen graphics engine.
Once again, happy birthday! May you continue to be remembered as one of the greats.